Making BackTrack5 look like XP

Okay, so the first thing you’re wondering is “Why the hell would you want to do this?

Well the answer becomes more obvious when the scenario is set:
You’re on a social engineering job and you’ve managed to gain access to the target building, you walk around for a bit to see if any of the desks look free. After a while you decide to sit down at what seems like an unoccupied desk. You calmly pull out your laptop and turn it on. As the laptop is booting you start looking for an Ethernet cable to plug into your laptop, you find one and plug it in. Social engineering phase complete, pentest about to start. The hard work is over and the fun is about to begin…. until, someone walks past your laptop and sees you’re bright red coloured BackTrack wall paper.

You’re no longer being stealthy, the wallpaper looks aggressive and the nature of your visit is becoming a concern to the other workers who realise they’ve never seen you before. Next thing you know you’ve been collared by security and before you know it you’ve kicked out of the building, all because of the wallpaper on your laptop!

This script originally came from here but I have neatened it up and got it working with BackTrack. So the idea of this script is to make it quick to turn your BackTrack5 gnome build into something that resembles Windows XP to help you blend in with the crowd.

The package can be downloaded from here (please don’t hotlink as I might move the file to a different server to cope with all the downloads….):
The package when installed will give you 2 menu icons under other:

About phillips321

Penetration Tester and Linux fanboy!

25 Responses to Making BackTrack5 look like XP

1. 0E 800 says:

Is it possible to have a download link for source files, I would like to try to adapt your script to work on another OS. Thank you.

2. Lordjonesiii says:

This is a funny script, Well done ! πŸ™‚

3. asdfSDG says:

Does it work on KDE?

4. todd says:

when i hit the restore button it doesnt revert me back to backtrack it just says settings restored and still looks like xp. i have backtrack 5 r2 running on a second hdd thanks

5. Pingback: Make Backtrack look like XP with this script |

6. Fabio75This sxcript says:

Thanks a lot, i’m a beginner with BT and i’ve trying since a long time to get BT to look like any harmless windows for the obvious reason. This script is perfect and very useful to me.

7. action09 says:

Thanks a lot ! Nice job / Good idea and useful !

8. Tony says:

Very nice works perfect. Thanks

9. smuggbg says:

Works like a charm on BT5R3 Gnome x64

10. Sushil says:

Awesome Post Phillips.

How to go back to the original Backtrack look from the XP looks.

11. Rod Osteele says:

@TAPE. Just a thought. Have you tried setting another screen resolution. Maybe the “start” button is way off to the left. Off-screen so-to-speak. Just my 2 cents of course. Good luck.

• TAPE says:

HAHAHA !!

You were correct πŸ˜‰ Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best !

It works great on my netbook and now also in Backtrack 5 R3 32bit

Awesome !!

Getting to to work on Backbox would be great as well, it truly is a very nicely put together idea.

12. TAPE says:

One thing I am noting, when running your script on BT5R3 running in VMware player, I do not get the
    start button, so the button bottom left is the hide windows/show desktop button.

Is this a VM image issue and only working on correctly on full install or am I missing something trivial ?

• phillips321 says:

okay the image start.png gets set using the following line:

gconftool-2 --set "/apps/panel/objects/object_0/custom_icon" --type string $HOME"/.themes/XPLuna/start.png"

See if that image can be located… if not browse to find it. Then try to set it manually and see what happens. Are you running as root?

• TAPE says:

Hey, thanks for the response.

Running as root in BT5R3 on vmware player latest version.
        BT5R3 updated and upgraded to latest.

I may be missing something here, but please note this is a bit of a newb talking to you πŸ˜‰

After running the script, the only way I can view that image is by tar -xzf XPLuna.tar.gz and viewing
        the image in the resulting directory.
        I do not have a themes directory.

All what is visible on screen is working great. But for some reason not seeing Start.

I know how frustrating it can be to try to explain the simplicities of a script so clear to the writer, so
        please dont allow my ignorance to put you off πŸ˜‰

My result after the standard running of script as per instruction;

• TAPE says:

Some other guys tested it to be working fine on Virtual Box, so possibly a VMware Player issue.

Anyways, still fantastic πŸ™‚

• Rod Osteele says:

I am running it in VMware workstation v.8.x. I realized that in order to see the start button, I had to create it via “add Panel”

• phillips321 says:

TAPE, i’ve seen people mentioning the possibility of getting this going on BackBox, im downloading now so will have a go and let you know what i come up with…

13. TAPE says: